Sour grapes for pets

Sour grapes for pets

Grapes and raisins are toxic to many dogs. Nobody knows exactly why, but the danger appears to be in the flesh of the grape — and raisins are just dried grapes.

Dogs can develop a variety of signs after eating grapes, including digestive and respiratory problems, neurologic abnormalities and loss of appetite and thirst. Eventually, grape toxicity can cause kidney failure and death.

The toxic dose generally depends on a dog’s weight and whether grapes — or their concentrated cousins, raisins — are to blame. As a rule of thumb, a 10-pound dog only needs to eat 1 or 2 grapes, or less than 1 ounce of raisins, to develop signs. But depending on the individual animal, any amount may be toxic.

So, watch those grapes next time you eat a fruit salad around your buddy. What’s good for you may be deadly for your pet.

Related Episodes