Every so often, it’s a good idea to review the dangers that chocolate poses to our pets — especially when a chocolate-filled holiday is near.
The pet-toxic substances in chocolate are caffeine and theobromine [thē-ō-BRŌ-mēn]. While pets should be kept away from all chocolates, concentrations of these components differ among varieties. Cocoa powder is most toxic, followed by unsweetened baker’s chocolate and semisweet chocolate. Rounding out the list is dark chocolate, then milk chocolate.
The amount of chocolate eaten in proportion to your pet’s weight is also important. Although chocolate toxicity meters are available online for calculations, it’s best to call your veterinarian ASAP if you think your pet ate chocolate. You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680. That number is online — and it’s a good one to keep by your phone.