Last summer, you may have heard about a man who developed a severe bacterial infection, presumably after contact with his dog. The infection spread into the man’s blood, ultimately necessitating amputation of his hands and feet. Not surprisingly, this news sent some pooch parents into a tailspin. But let’s take a closer look.
The bacteria at fault is a normal inhabitant of saliva in nearly 75 percent of dogs — where it causes no problems at all. The vast majority of people who come in contact with it are just fine, too. And in the extremely rare cases of it causing infection, it’s usually in folks who already have weak immune systems.
That said, don’t let your pet lick any breaks in your skin — and you might want to rethink pet kisses, too. As for any bite wound from your pet? Don’t wait to get that checked out.