Most healthy animals love food, but unfortunately, many also like just about anything they can put in their mouths. While certain objects might pass through the digestive track normally, others can cause obstructions that are life-threatening. Foreign body surgery is an emergency procedure conducted to remove the ingested object before it causes irreparable harm, or even death. Dr. Alex Fox-Alvarez, a small animal surgeon, will discuss some of the commonly ingested objects that lead to this procedure – think socks, bones, rawhide chews — as well as objects that might not immediately come to mind as hazardous. He’ll discuss how veterinarians approach these types of surgeries to minimize risk to the patient and when to call a veterinarian if you suspect your pet has ingested a foreign body.